WINE & DINE : FIRESIDE CLARET
Fireside Claret - Oven-Roasted Vegetables (I got this from my Grandmother, she was quite the entertainer)
1. 4 white, red or new potatoes, cut into quarter
2. 12 small carrots, peeled
3. 12 small boiling onions
4. 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
5. 2 garlic cloves, minced or crushed
6. 1 teaspoon herbs de Provence*
7. 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
8. ½ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
9. 1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh rosemary
10. 4 to 6 small Roma tomatoes, cut into halves and seeded
11. Extra-virgin olive oil, salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
1. Place the potatoes, carrots and onions in a large sealable pastic bag.
2. Combine 2 tablespoons olive oil with the garlic, herbs de Provence, seasoned salt, ½ teaspoon pepper and rosemary in a bowl and mix well. Pour over vegetables, seal the bag and mix gently. Marinate in the refrigerator for up to 2 hours.
3. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
4. Remove the vegetables to two large baking sheets lined with foil; do not crowd to ensure even browning. Roast for 5 minutes.
5. Arrange the tomatoes on a baking sheet. Drizzle with additional olive oil and season with salt and pepper to taste. Place in the oven.
6. Roast the potato mixture and the tomatoes together for 15 minutes longer or until evenly browned.
7. Remove to heated platter and serve with roasted meat or fowl.
*Herbs De Provence Make your own or purchase from the store
• 3 Tablespoons dried marjoram
• 3 Tablespoons dried thyme
• 3 Tablespoons dried savory
• 1 teaspoon dried basil
• 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
• 1/2 teaspoon dried sage
• 1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds Preparation:
1. Combine marjoram, thyme, savory, basil, rosemary, sage, and fennel. Mix well and spoon into a tightly-lidded jar. Store in a cool, dark place up to 4 months.