WINE & DINE : PROFUNDO
Profundo - Leek and Pecorino Pizzas
1. All-purpose flour, for dusting
2. 1 1/2 pounds pizza dough, cut into 8 pieces (make your our own or Traders has a great pizza dough)
3. 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for brushing
4. 2 large leeks, sliced 1/4 inch thick
5. Salt and freshly ground black pepper
6. 3/4 pound ground lamb
7. 32 cherry tomatoes, halved
8. 1/4 pound truffled pecorino cheese, thinly sliced
1. Preheat the oven to 500°. Heat a pizza stone on the bottom of the oven for 45 minutes. (Alternatively, heat a large inverted baking sheet on the bottom rack of the oven for 5 minutes.)
2. On a lightly floured work surface, roll out each piece of dough to a 7-inch round. Oil 3 large baking sheets and place the dough rounds on the sheets. Cover with plastic wrap and let rest for 15 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat 1/4 cup of the olive oil. Add the leeks, season with salt and pepper and cook over moderate heat until softened, about 8 minutes; transfer to a plate. Add the 2 tablespoons of olive oil to the skillet. Add the lamb, season with salt and pepper and cook until no pink remains, about 5 minutes.
4. Generously flour a pizza stone. Place a dough round on the stone and brush with olive oil. Top with some of the leeks, lamb, tomatoes and pecorino cheese. Slide the dough round onto the hot stone or baking sheet and bake for about 4 minutes, until bubbling and crisp. Repeat with the remaining ingredients and serve.